7/25/08

August Looming


August is a month I dread. It signals the end of so much that I love and segues into that period of time most aptly summed up as Can't We Do This Later? I include things like getting my wisdom teeth removed and applying to masters programs into that same file. Trust me, I'll get around to it.

Sitting on a patio in August isn't like sitting on a patio in July, because in July you have the buffer of August. August is like playing hockey with no padding, or walking into a dinner with the in laws without a briefing on which one will never like you.

Each year I only work full-time for 4 months in the summer, and I find by the end of it all I'm thinking is Thank God I don't have to do this for longer. All of a sudden August doesn't look so bad, and hey, neither does September because at least I won't have to work. And so, with the persuasive powers of nostalgia on my side I forget how much school hurts.

And then I'm smack dab in the middle of writing an essay on faith healing in early confederate Canada and I remember August, why did I not savour August?

So to sum up this meandering and somewhat incoherent post, I'm deciding to frame things differently this year. I'm looking at you August, and you know what?

Bring it.

4 comments:

bythedrift said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bythedrift said...

i really like that picture, the face is very eerie, coola.

lowercasecarmen said...

Ha thanks, it's Michael Stipe. I took it at the REM concert in Toronto.

carrie said...

ARGH! OMG! i LOVE michael stipe. he is great. i am SO SO SO jealous that i have never seen him perform live!!! (and you have.)